“A major reason for poor performance of many linguistic and ethnic minority children is that they are often taught in a language they struggle to understand. It limits their ability to develop foundations for later learning and negatively affects their cognitive development.” UNESCO
In 2018, TCF built its very first schools in the Tharparkar district and is developing and will implement a multilingual education framework first in these schools with potential to scale it across the province. This entails implementing a framework which potentially uses the students’ mother tongue and incorporates the regional language (Sindhi), language of common use (Urdu) and an international language (English) at various stages of a child’s schooling journey.
TCF has successfully completed the research phase, and is currently in the Second Phase of developing resources and capacity for the aspired multilingual education framework.
The incumbent will be responsible for research on language acquisition of Sindhi as first language, resource material development in Sindhi language, and designing training and assessment tools including teacher’s competency test (TCT) paper.
Sindhi Framework Development:
- Assist in research to design the Sindhi Language Framework from Nursery to G-10 which will include research on progression, alignment, language skills and review and comparison of different curriculums and frameworks.
- Align Sindhi language proficiency across grades with other subjects and the use of vocabulary.
Development of Teaching & Learning Materials:
- Assist in development of Sindhi teaching and learning materials including Teacher Guide, Workbook, Textbook and other for ECE & Primary Classes.
- Developing read aloud stories including implementation guide and plan for primary years
Training Design and Implementation:
- Designing capacity building program for Sindhi language teachers, and carrying out its implementation
Assessment Design and Implementation:
- Developing observation tools to evaluate proficiency in Sindhi
Community Awareness and Engagement Tools:
- Creating awareness among the community about the need for Dhatki formal inclusion, and engaging them in textbook and story development, and its implementation
Minimum bachelors in domain of social sciences, language and/or education
At least 2 years of teaching or leadership experience at primary level (experience in Sindhi Language & material development will be preferred)