“A major reason for poor performance of many linguistic and ethnic minority children is that they are often taught in a language they struggle to understand. It limits their ability to develop foundations for later learning and negatively affects their cognitive development.” UNESCO
In 2018, TCF built its very first schools in the Tharparkar district and is designing and implementing a multilingual education framework first in these schools with potential to scale it across the province. This entails implementing a framework which potentially uses the students’ mother tongue and incorporates the regional language (Sindhi), language of common use (Urdu) and an international language (English) at various stages of a child’s schooling journey.
Today, a 15 member Team is designing all aspects of MTB MLE framework and overseeing its implementation in 12 TCF and Donor managed schools in Tharparkar, in an incremental grade wise approach.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with experience as an educator, and deep interest in exploring how the medium of language influences educational outcomes during different stages of schooling in Pakistan. We seek one who is willing to dive into engagement around school language policy, framework and design, implementation and evaluation of a multilingual education programme. The incumbent will be responsible to adopt diverse stakeholder analysis, engage in design thinking on all aspects of resource development, training and evaluation tools; and ensure deliverables promised for implementation in schools are met timely and effectively. Simultaneously since this programme is a pilot project, the incumbent will also be responsible to lead dialogues across departments within TCF, to devise a plan for scale.
- Oversee the grade wise roll out plan across Tharparkar schools
- Ensure insights from the classrooms are recorded analyzed and used for strengthening design and implementation
- Oversee capacity building processes for teachers and other responsible stakeholders involved
- Ensure evaluation (both programmatic and process oriented) are strategized, executed and insights recorded
- Ensure programme roll out is within committed budget
- Assist in the effectiveness of all curriculum and design components to be developed subject and grade wise
- Ensure design effectiveness with the maintenance of rigor and quality
- Build capacity of subject and area leads, to meet deliverables timely and effectively
- Leads the research undertaken for language transition and progression across grades and ensures this research is reflected in teaching and learning materials and training
- Ensuring the development of quarterly progress reports for the Donor/s and lead meetings for strengthened partnership
- Organizing scale driven dialogues with leads across other departments within TCF
- Actively engage in conversations with language consultation groups beyond TCF (domestically and internationally), including the Government of Pakistan for school language policy dialogue
- Actively engaging with the public for language policy and its implementation
- Collaborate with multiple departments on a range of projects related to the development of curriculum, student learning outcomes, testing and similar activities
- Required: Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and interest in strengthening Urdu or Sindhi communication skills
- Preferred: Strong verbal and written communication skills in Urdu and/or Sindhi
- Values inter-personal skills and has the ability to develop meaningful working relationships
- Design thinking mindset
- Values a research driven approach to designing solutions
- Willing to undertake subject-level dialogues
- Sound knowledge of project reporting, appraisals and budgeting
- Respects volunteers and strategically aligns their interest with project goals
- Strong computer literacy (MS Office, internet navigation)
- Interest in data management
Preferred: Masters in domains of Social Sciences and/or Education
At least 4 years.
Required: Thorough experience of project implementation and team leadership.
Preferred: The experience covers a position of leading policy, curriculum design and/or a management role in education.