TCF is looking for a dynamic individual interested in exploring how students, at varying proficiency levels, acquire English proficiency in a non-English environment along with how teacher quality can be supported to enhance this proficiency. The individual will be expected to research, develop, assess, pilot and scale an English Language Acquisition program in TCF’s Urdu medium schools. The program will be initiated for grades 6 – 8 at TCF schools. As an outcome it is expected that functional as well as academic proficiency in English will be at an appropriate level by the end of Grade 8. The appropriate benchmark will be determined during the research and implementation of this project.
- Provide leadership in conceptualizing an English language acquisition programme in concert with organizational mission and goals
- Conduct extensive research, make recommendations to senior team, and prepare policy briefings on improving functional, and to an extent, academic English proficiency in students
- Lead comprehensive needs assessments of English language instruction at TCF secondary and other schools to evaluate the current syllabus vis-à-vis the curriculum and aspired framework; this would entail observation of classrooms, focus group sessions with students and teachers, research and seeking feedback from experienced educators/language centers as well as external evaluators.
- Develop an aspired curriculum framework for grades 6 – 8 based on local and international research.
- Determine strategy of teaching English language in secondary schools within certain resource constraints
- Identify or develop relevant instructional materials to support language acquisition along with teacher training materials
- Create resources to support effective classroom practices
- Monitor the outcomes of curriculum implementation, student learning, training and communication and makes necessary changes to increase effectiveness
- Design and execute scalable pilot English language acquisition project for secondary schools
- Develop tools for creating formative assessment and benchmark tools
- Involved in hiring of team members, consultants and financial partners appropriate to the subject project
- Monitors and, as necessary, prepares project financial accounting reporting requirements in a timely manner
- Prepare and present progress reports/presentations to senior team, others as requested
- Other tasks as assigned related to the project / organization needs
- Experience in developing curriculum or teaching in a classroom where daily activities were planned and implemented
- Knowledge of project management tools and principles
- Strong analytical abilities, negotiation, and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of budgets, and cost management
- Leadership and team building skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and Urdu
- Ability to work independently as well as with teams.
- Strong computer skills in office automation and various software applications including MS Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Master’s degree in English as Second/Foreign Language, Linguistics, Education or International Development preferable.
At least 2 years of relevant experience.
1 year of project management experience preferable