“A major reason for poor performance of many linguistic and ethnic minority children is that they are often taught in a language they struggle to understand. It limits their ability to develop foundations for later learning and negatively affects their cognitive development.” UNESCO
In 2018, TCF built its very first schools in the Tharparkar district and is developing and will implement a multilingual education framework first in these schools with potential to scale it across the province. This entails implementing a framework which potentially uses the students’ mother tongue and incorporates the regional language (Sindhi), language of common use (Urdu) and an international language (English) at various stages of a child’s schooling journey.
TCF has successfully completed the research phase, and is currently in the Second Phase of developing resources and capacity for the aspired multilingual education framework.
The incumbent will be responsible to do research on language transition and bilingual approach and design the principles for language transition journey across grades and subjects with respect to the MTB-MLE context.
Language Transition Journey:
- Study the MTB-MLE research to understand the language framework and the role and positioning of each languages in it
- Research on Language Transition and bilingualism in language transition including bilingual material development
- Study the MOI transition strategy research and design and develop materials that enable a gradual transition from Sindhi to Urdu/English across respective subjectss
- Collaborate with subject specialists and language leads across diverse functions. Understand the language progression and designing language transition journey
Language Rich Environment:
- Seeking creative strategies and activities to develop rich learning environment for learning both familiar and unfamiliar languages.
Anticipate the expected challenges in language transition and develop strategies to overcome the anticipated challenges.
- Strong verbal, reading and written communication skills in English and Urdu (proficiency in Sindhi is preferred)
- Keen interest in observing the role of language in education, amidst the multitude of aspiration and context driven factors
- Enthusiastic about literacy development, capacity building and research in learning in the primary years
- Ability to design engaging content in alignment with the needs and interests of its intended audience
- Strong computer literacy (MS Office, internet navigation)
- Values inter-personal skills and has the ability to develop meaningful working relationships
- Community mobilization knowledge will be an added advantage
Engagement in domain of linguistics and education
At least 2 years of working on second and/or foreign language or demonstrates significant interest in the subject with evidence