The Assistant Manager – Language Transition Research will work with the Mathematics Team in Academics, taking responsibility of the overall planning, design and implementation of the Language Transition Research (from Urdu to English) in TCF’s Secondary Mathematics Education, with a focus on embedding this transition in Mathematics Textbooks, Workbooks and Teacher Guides.
TCF has conducted a research, on the need and design of a Mother Tongue Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE) model in Pakistan and has successfully developed a holistic MTB-MLE model. The model includes guiding principles for language transition and a progression plan from Nursery to Grade 10 which shows when a language may be introduced either as a subject or as a medium of instruction. The MTB-MLE model looks at the bigger picture, requiring significant changes and developments in capacity building, academic resources, curriculum development as well as community engagement. Moving forward from this research as well as narrowing the aim, the Language Transition Research in Secondary Mathematics aims to develop methods and/or guidelines that ensure an effective language transition (from Urdu to English) in Secondary Mathematics through Textbooks, Workbooks and Teacher Guides.
- Acquainting oneself with TCF’s existing Mother Tongue Based Multilingual Education research and model.
- Developing research questions.
- Organizing and conducting primary research (e.g. a primary research at TCF to identify and evaluate the current status of language of instruction in Secondary Mathematics classrooms; this would entail classroom observations, focus group sessions with students and teachers and seeking insights from AEMs.)
- Organizing and conducting secondary research.
- Recording the research process as well as the research in a comprehensive document.
- Collaborating with the MTB-MLE team as and when required, utilizing their existing research and sources.
- Developing innovative and effective guidelines of language transition specific to Secondary Mathematics that ensure an effective transition from Urdu to English.
- Strong primary and secondary research skills.
- Strong communication skills in Urdu and English.
- Ability to plan and organize activities within strict timelines.
- Ability to read and critically analyze data and situations.
- Ability to research and collate information.
- Expertise of Microsoft Office.
- Comfortable with learning how to type in Urdu.
- Preferred (not mandatory) familiarity with Language Transition and/or Multi-lingual Education
Bachelor’s degree (on-going or completed)
Linguistic Research (preferred but not mandatory) or any other research.